Women who wish to end their early pregnancy at home can always choose medical abortion and pills. The method for pregnancy termination is non-invasive, and safe, with a high efficacy when Mifepristone and Misoprostol pills are used as per the advice of the healthcare provider. However, not many understand the use of abortion pill, the effects of the same and how to cope with them, associated risks, and recovery from the procedure. Thus, in this post, we will take you through all these aspects in detail.
Types of Abortion Pills
Here are some of the recognized and widely used abortion pill today:
· Mifepristone, which is also available as Mifeprex and Generic RU486. All of these medicines have similar components and work well to shed the uterine lining and eliminate the progress of the pregnancy.
· Cytolog and Misoprostol are the same kind of medications you take after Mifepristone use. You can take the pills vaginally or through the mouth. The medicine results in the speedy expulsion of the pregnancy portions from the womb.
· MTP Kit is a medical abortion pack with the required Mifepristone and Misoprostol dosage. Thus, if you choose this medication kit, you need not purchase Mifepristone and Misoprostol separately.
Intake Instructions and Effects
Here is more to understand:
· Take orally with water a pill of Mifepristone 200mg on day 1. The medicine blocks progesterone, a pregnancy hormone, and stops the advancement of conception by breaking the endometrial lining. The embryo then cannot stay attached to the uterus wall or draw nutrition.
· Then after 24 to 48 hours, take 4 x 200mcg Misoprostol pills vaginally by putting one pill after the other inside the vagina. You must rest for 30 minutes so that the medicine melts and gets into the womb. Or, you can use the pills buccally by putting 2 pills together in each cheek pouch and consuming the dissolved contents after half an hour.
· Misoprostol is a prostaglandin E1 analog, known to bring contractions in the uterus and disperse the products of conception from the vagina through bleeding. It also ripens the cervix so that the passing of the parts happens without interruption.
· Some of the outcomes you will surely experience are heavy vaginal bleeding and cramps from uterine contractions. The bleeding helps to remove the pregnant parts from the womb. Pain in the lower abdomen is another effect because of the cramps.
· With safe abortion pills, you need not worry about any complications. Any effects are temporary, especially nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, tiredness, etc. Because these side effects go away as soon as the uterus empties and the pregnancy hormone levels dip.
Risks of Medical Abortion
A few possible risks from pregnancy termination pills include:
· Mifepristone and Misoprostol pills have an efficacy rate of 99% when used together. But there is a small risk of incomplete abortion. In this case, the uterus may still contain a few pregnancy parts, which then have to be removed through a surgical process.
· Sometimes the heavy bleeding may not suit the person. In this event, the individual may need additional medical attention.
· If care is not taken appropriately to maintain hygiene, then infection and sepsis are possible. Thus, you must not overdose. Also, you should keep yourself clean down there and overall to not catch an infection.
Tips for Recovery After Abortion
The guidelines for recovery after ending pregnancy with safe abortion pill are:
· Eat healthy food, and include lots of fruits and vegetables in your diet. Have protein and iron-rich food such as sprouts, lean meat soup, stew, black beans, pomegranate, beetroot, spinach, etc.
· To get over dehydration or water loss from diarrhea, stay hydrated by drinking electrolyte water and fruit juice smoothies.
· Pamper yourself with a good amount of sleep and rest. Avoid physically and mentally stressful activities.
· Do not drink alcohol for at least a week or two after the procedure if you are still under some of the side effects.
· Wear clean clothes, do not use tampons or menstrual cups, but only sanitary pads for the bleeding.
· If having emotional outbursts or the need to speak to someone then converse with a person you can rely on or consult a counselor.
To Sum It Up
Getting a medical abortion is a safe option. You can avoid risks and complications by following the intake and dosage instructions for abortion pills properly. Also, recovery after the procedure happens smoothly, and you can easily cope with the symptoms.