Most people are aware that abortion pills help to terminate an early pregnancy. A combination of Mifepristone and Misoprostol is used to non-invasively end a pregnancy at home. But there are facts about medical abortion that you must know before choosing this method. Knowing these details will prepare you to properly administer the pills, prepare better for the effects, and understand the things to do and not for successful termination.
In this post, we will talk about things you should know prior to taking abortion pills for your unplanned pregnancy.
1. What is the Abortion Pill Dosage to Take?
You can buy abortion pills online but here are the dosage instructions to remember and observe:
· Consume orally with water Mifepristone 200mg on the first day of the procedure. Do not break, powder, or chew the pill. You will need only a single piece of medicine.
· After 24 to 48 hours, take 4 x 200mcg Misoprostol (8-12 pills of 200mcg each if the pregnancy exceeds 5 weeks and up to 9 weeks of gestation).
· Choose buccal intake by placing the 4 pills under the tongue, letting them dissolve for 30 minutes, and then consuming the contents.
· For a pregnancy between 6 to 9 weeks, give an interval of 3 hours between doses of 4 pills together at a time.
· If the pregnancy is within 5 weeks, you can also use the medicine vaginally by inserting all the pills inside the vagina where it melts to get absorbed in the uterus.
2. What Are the Expected Outcomes of Abortion Pill Use?
Medication pregnancy termination results in these expected effects:
· Mifepristone breaks the endometrial lining, causing the detachment of the embryo from the uterus wall.
· The Mifepristone pill suppresses the pregnancy hormone because of its anti-progesterone properties. It also brings the pregnancy to a final stop by blocking its advancement to the next stage.
· Misoprostol leads to heavy bleeding to dispel the pregnancy portions from the womb. This happens through uterine contractions and the widening of the cervical opening.
· You may experience abdomen pain because of cramps. But you can ease the effect by taking a painkiller. Or, apply a hot water bag or heating pad for much relief.
3. Who Must Not Undergo Pregnancy Termination with Pills?
Do not choose medical abortion in the following instances:
· Allergic to medicines used to end a pregnancy.
· The pregnancy is ectopic, i.e., outside the uterus.
· Unremoved intrauterine device inserted for birth control.
· Suffering from unresolved sexually transmitted infection.
· Having a bleeding disorder or on blood thinners.
· Undiagnosed adnexal mass, inherited porphyria, or chronic adrenal failure.
· Uterine fibroids, scars, or other serious gynaecological concerns.
· The pregnancy age is beyond 9 weeks of gestation.
· You do not have access to emergency care during the procedure.
· You cannot visit a clinic for follow-up after 2 weeks.
4. Why Talk About Your Health History Beforehand?
We get that you want to end your pregnancy. But if you have any pre-existing medical conditions, then before you buy abortion pills online, discuss it with your physician. Take advice on if you can use the pills or not.
· Long-term corticosteroid treatment.
· Liver/kidney/heart disease.
· Over 35 years old and smoking more than 10 cigarettes every day.
· Severe asthma or lung issues.
· Placement of artificial valve in the heart.
· Lack of hemoglobin and red blood cells due to anemia.
· High cholesterol level and uncontrollable high blood pressure.
5. Which Products Can Interact with Abortion Pills?
Here is a compilation of a few interactions:
· Anti-fungal treatment such as Itraconazole, Ketoconazole
· St. John’s Wort
· Grapefruit juice
· Anticonvulsant such as carbamazepine, phenobarbital, and phenytoin
· Ibuprofen, NSAIDs, piroxicam, naproxen, indomethacin, and aspirin
Medical abortion can end a pregnancy without you having to access in-clinic care. Though simple and safe, you need to know certain things about the procedure priorly to avoid risks.