Often the general public don’t know much about the difference between emergency contraception [EC] and abortion pills and frequently confuse them with each other. The main conceptual difference between the two is the emergency contraception is for “prevention of pregnancy” and meanwhile abortion tablets are for “termination of an already existing pregnancy”. Often the general public don’t know much about the difference between emergency contraception [EC] and abortion pills and frequently confuse them with each other. The main conceptual difference between the two is the emergency contraception is for “prevention of pregnancy” and meanwhile abortion tablets are for “termination of an already existing pregnancy”.
What is medical abortion?
Medical abortion is termination of an early pregnancy [ one that is not matured past the initial 10 weeks of gestation]. It is done by the use of Mifepristone and Misoprostol tablets. Mifepristone taken first, is used with Misoprostol pills which is taken 24-48 hours later. Mifepristone is also called by other names such as brands – Mifeprex or RU-486. In the meantime, Misoprostol also has another brand named Cytolog.
What is Emergency Contraception?
Women use emergency contraception as means of preventing pregnancy. EC are especially useful in case of unexpected and unprotected intercourse, birth control failure or in circumstances of sexual assault. Emergency contraceptive like Plan B pills reduced the risk of pregnancy if taken within 3 days [ 72 hours] of unprotected intercourse.
The difference between abortion pills and emergency contraceptive pills
1. Usage and efficacy
• Abortion Pill – The FDA recommended regimen for medical abortion is to take 1 pill of Mifepristone [ 200 mg] and then take 4 pills of Misoprostol [ 800 mcg total] 24-48 hours later. The Misoprostol pills are put 2×2 in each cheek pouches and then kept to be dissolved for 30 minutes before swallowing the residue left.
Evidence says Mifepristone and Misoprostol combination when used right is 96-98% effective without any complications.
• Emergency Contraceptive Pill – The FDA approved usage of morning after pill, i.e. EC is to take it within three days of unprotected intercourse. The sooner you take the pill the better it is as the efficacy of this pills drop dramatically as time passes. It is the most effective when taken within 24 hours of unprotected intercourse. Man women even buy Plan B online and have it delivered overnight.
• Abortion Pill – Mifepristone is an anti-progesterone agent which blocks the necessary hormones needed to support the uterine lining that supports the pregnancy. In the absence of the hormone this uterine lining is broken and the embryo faces detachment. Meanwhile Misoprostol is an ecbolic agent and causes uterine contractions which help the detached embryonic tissues to be ejected through vaginal discharge.
• Emergency Contraceptive pill – Depending upon the time of your cycle when they are taken, the EC pill may delay ovulation, inhibit with the sperm travel through tubes, interfere with the fertilization process to prevent pregnancy.
• Abortion pill – Millions of women worldwide buy abortion pills online and have the pregnancy termination at home. As per statistics, the maternal mortality rate is much higher in childbirth than abortion or miscarriage.
• Emergency Contraceptive pill – There is no evidence based contraindications for EC pills. They do not induce an abortion nor do they effect the developing embryo.
• Abortion pill – The average cost of abortion pills is about $350 to $800, given if you have insurance or not. Therefore, many women get abortion pills online for cheaper deal.
• Emergency Contraceptive pill – The EC pill generally costs $10 to $77 [ per pill], this is why many buy online as Plan B cost is mostly sold at 10 pills at $50, i.e. [$5 per pill] on web pharmacies.